Kind of. Only two higher-seeded teams advanced Saturday in the Class 3A second round, but both were expected.
In Greeley, Erika Yost and Kaity Vogel each scored second-half goals for Manitou Springs in a 2-1 victory of Frontier Academy's Wolverines.
The No. 12 Mustangs _ one of three Tri-Peaks League teams in the final eight _ will play rival St. Mary's in the quarterfinals.
Frontier Academy finishes the season 14-2-1.
(4) St. Mary's 5, (13) Coal Ridge 1: The Pirates got two goals from Dawn Reachard in the victory over the Titans at the Grace Center. Sarah Egbert, Erin Geiger and Emily Loof also scored for St. Mary's.
(3) Peak to Peak 4, (19) Lutheran 1: The Pumas, playing without their coach Peter Chandler, who is one by one attending the college graduations of each one his quintuplets during their playoff run, set up a 3A title game rematch Thursday against The Classical Academy. Belle Morel and Kaja Lamvik accounted for all the Pumas scoring. Here is BoCoPreps' account.
(6) The Classical Academy 4, (22) Denver Christian 1: The Titans got goals from Meghan Troupe, Kierra Mattingly, Sarah St. Louis and Joanie Jacks in route of the Crusaders in Colorado Springs.
In addition to Peak to Peak's venture back to the quarterfinals for the fourth straight year, the Metropolitan League also advanced four more teams into the final eight:
(1) Holy Family 2, (17) Middle Park 0: Maddie Kuzik scored both goals for the top-seeded Tigers against a game Panthers squad. Here's BoCoPreps' review.
(8) Colorado Academy 1, (9) Bayfield 0: The Mustangs earned a rematch with Holy Family - who they beat 2-1 on April 19 - thanks to Jackie Murphy's first half goal.
(2) Faith Christian 2, (18) Roaring Fork 0: Caroline Jenkins and Arianna Brennon each scored first half goals for the Eagles, who will have another go at Kent Denver in the quarterfinals. The won the regular-season match 4-1.
(10) Kent Denver 3, (7) Resurrection Christian 2: The Sun Devils rallied in the second half on goals from Havana McElvaine, Nicole Campbell and Natalie Ricci to get by the Cougars.
Jon E. Yunt: 303-954-1354 or firstname.lastname@example.org