A Weld County Sheriff Officer comforts a woman, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, outside a home where four people were found dead in Longmont. (RJ Sangosti, The Denver Post)
- Mar 7:
- Denver police looking for "Thong Bandit" near Sloan's Lake
- Mar 3:
- Population at youth corrections facilities drops
- Feb 28:
- Lakewood police seek suspect who shot, killed man in parking lot
- Husband and wife busted in Jeffco after bizarre highway chase
- Feb 26:
- Body found in dorm at CU; no danger, police say
- Feb 25:
- Denver woman who shot children, self used two guns
- Police: Man arrested for sending harassing e-mails to state Rep. Rhonda Fields
- Feb 19:
- Pipe bombs found at Aurora home
- Aurora man held after pipe bombs, explosive chemicals, found in home
- Feb 16:
- Apple store burglarized in Boulder, $63,000 in computers, phones taken
- Feb 15:
- Task force arrests 3 in connection to drug trafficking ring in Greeley
- 5 charged in Denver with using teen as prostitute
- Feb 11:
- Family: 2-year-old Denver girl shot by mother emerges from coma
- Feb 10:
- Car plows into Denver's Gaetano's restaurant, one seriously hurt
- Feb 7:
- Denver police: Mother shot kids and then killed herself
- 3-year-old Denver shooting victim remains in critical condition
- Feb 6:
- Globeville residents gather in the cold rain to honor slain family
- Mueren 2 niños y una mujer en un tiroteo en Denver
- Details emerge about family in Denver shooting that left 3 dead
- Details emerge about family in Denver shooting that left 3 dead
- Jan 24:
- Policía de EEUU busca a ladrones de jabón
- Jan 22:
- Alicia Martinez case: Murder trial set to begin for Edward Romero
- Jan 18:
- Woman fatally shot in Aurora parking lot early Friday morning
- Jan 16:
- Police officer wounded, 3 others hurt, 1 dead in northwest Denver
- Jan 5:
- Mueren 4 en un asedio en Colorado
- Four found dead inside Aurora home, including gunman shot by police
- Four dead inside Aurora home including gunman shot by police
- Dec 29:
- Lakewood police arrest suspect in supplemental pill shop robbery
- Dec 28:
- SWAT team tries to negotiate with suicidal Parker man
- Dec 27:
- Person of interest in slaying of bank employee found dead in his home
- SWAT team at Greenwood Village apartment close to murder scene
- Dec 17:
- Denver teen shot, killed, family looks for answers
- Dec 13:
- Four people set afire in attack at Denver apartment Thursday night
- Dec 10:
- Authorities announce drug bust in Denver area
- Dec 4:
- Aurora sex assault suspect apprehended
- Nov 28:
- Boulder police: Ex-Celestial Seasonings manager embezzled $1.8M over 5 years
- Nov 27:
- Burglary suspect gives up at Denver hotel as tear gas ends standoff
- Aurora police say officer shot, killed naked man wielding machete
- Nov 19:
- Denver parking lot fight leads to suspect in three unsolved rapes
- Nov 18:
- Denver police catch man suspected in three robberies within an hour
- Nov 13:
- Man who nearly severed Auraria cop's finger with samurai sword is identified
- Nov 12:
- Denver police incident ends with man in custody
- Nov 11:
- Suspect in Denver, Westminster traffic-stop shootings arrested
- Sep 23:
- I-70 chase after stolen sheriff's vehicle ends in spin out and arrest
- Sep 19:
- Robber tosses cash from car in Colorado Springs
- Sep 18:
- Founder of Aurora nonprofit suspected of sex crime
- Sep 13:
- Policías de Denver detienen a hombre atrincherado dentro de edificio
- Sep 12:
- Denver SWAT team brings man out of barricaded building
- Denver officers bring man out of barricaded building
- Sep 9:
- Aurora Police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sep 7:
- Denver RadioShack standoff: Hostage emerges unharmed, suspects arrested
- Hostage being held in RadioShack store on Colfax, shots fired
- Sep 5:
- Greeley school ban on gang numbers includes Peyton Manning's 18
- Sep 2:
- Serial killers worked Denver streets from '75 to '95, police say
- Sep 1:
- California murder suspect arrested in Colorado
- Aug 29:
- SWAT takes suspect from blockaded Denver building
- Jul 31:
- Suspect dead in officer-involved shooting in Denver
- Jul 13:
- Armed escapee at large in Greeley
- Jun 15:
- Monica Chavez not guilty of criminally negligent homicide, child abuse
- Jun 5:
- 2 charged in east Denver double homicide
- Jun 3:
- Aurora cars stopped, occupants cuffed, searched after bank robbery
- Jun 2:
- Aurora police hunt for suspects after bank robbery
- Jun 1:
- Denver-area pastors gang up on gun violence
- May 31:
- Feds bust family moving meth, money inside organic milk cartons to Colorado from California
- Pastores latinos de Denver piden oraciones para detener violencia de pandillas
- May 29:
- Man shot, killed outside Aurora bar
- May 28:
- Two arrested related to Friday double homicide in Denver
- May 17:
- Commerce City police untangling shooting, possible robbery inside Joyeria Alondra boutique
- Man shot after taunting boy in Denver Taco Bell "took it like Robocop," witnesses say
- May 9:
- Four people reported shot in Montbello tonight, one critical
- May 7:
- Guns found in suburban Denver student's car
- Apr 29:
- Third body this weekend found in Boulder
- Apr 27:
- Former Alameda High School coach convicted of having sex with a student and possessing graphic photos of girls
- Apr 24:
- Denver man with long arrest record identified as Aurora church gunman
- Apr 22:
- Colorado trooper hurt in 125-mph chase on I-70
- Apr 20:
- Denver police tackle rising fears, crime along East Colfax
- Colorado to retest 1,700 blood samples from DUI cases after lab employee's errors uncovered
- Apr 19:
- Student, 13, in Centennial arrested in bomb threat case
- Apr 17:
- Man shot, killed at Denver auto parts store
- Apr 11:
- CU-Boulder chancellor: False police reports unjustly targeting people of color
- Apr 5:
- Denver SafeNite Program and active enforcement of Denver's curfew ordinance to begin April 6
- Apr 2:
- Man dies in custody of Denver police
- Mar 31:
- Two killed, one injured in Thornton when man on cell phone plows into pedestrians
- Mar 30:
- Evans police officer in stable condition after being shot
- Mar 27:
- Armed suspect taken into custody after Aurora standoff
- Mar 26:
- Three Coloradans arrested in alleged murder-for-hire, drug plot
- Mar 24:
- Police sift through conflicting evidence in Aurora shooting
- Mar 23:
- Suspect arrested in fatal shooting near Denver's Manual High School
- Teen dead after early-morning shooting in Denver
- Mar 22:
- Suspected '32 Bandit' was two 17-year-olds captured after two robberies in California Wednesday
- Mar 21:
- Springs police arrest 2nd soldier in Sin City shooting
- Plea agreement possible for man accused of arranging DougCo murders from his jail cell
- Aurora Chuck E. Cheese killer's appeal cites mental illness as factor
- Surging crimes rattle Denver's East Colfax neighborhood
- Mar 20:
- Teen fatally shot near Manual High identified; peace vigil tonight
- Teen shot dead near Manual High School in Denver
- Mar 19:
- Teen shot dead near Manual High School in Denver
- Man killed near Manual High School, cops look for red Cadillac
- Mar 15:
- Denver police arrest serial thief called 'Bear' on charges of stealing expensive bicycles
- Mar 14:
- Man shot by robbers outside his Denver check-cashing business
- Westminster police looking for man who tried to snatch teen; 911 audio released
- Mar 11:
- Motorcyclist escapes in high speed chase in Lakewood
- Mar 9:
- Denver police investigate two shootings; suspects at-large
- Mar 8:
- Man accused of committing 3 robberies in one hour in Fort Collins
- Body found of Paige Birgeld, Mesa County woman missing since 2007
- Feb 29:
- Driver shot by police after tailing woman home, hitting officer and dragging another with truck
- Feb 10:
- Histórica redada antidrogas culmina con cargos contra 97 sospechosos
- Feb 9:
- Loveland, Greeley police look for men who robbed three Walgreens pharmacies
- 97 people charged in largest drug bust in Colorado history
- Nearly 100 charged in largest drug bust in Colorado history
- Largest mass drug arrest in Colorado history takes down four drug distribution organizations
- Images show man with machete robbing Colorado Springs pizza shop
- Feb 3:
- Metro-area prostitution ring owner gets prison
- Feb 2:
- Colorado Bureau of Investigation agents round up unregistered sex offenders
- Feb 1:
- Alleged Denver metro area sex ring exemplifies national trend in human trafficking
- Jan 31:
- FBI seeks 'Rainbow Bandit' who robbed banks in Denver, Lakewood
- 4 charged in alleged child-prostitute ring in Colorado
- Jan 30:
- Acusan a 14 personas de tráfico de menores en Colorado
- 14 indicted in child sex ring, Colorado AG announces
- Jan 26:
- Canon City man faked own kidnapping, officials say
- Jan 23:
- Marshals grab two halfway house escapees in Montbello
- Motorcycle gang members charged with drug crimes, explosives theft
- Jan 20:
- Colorado girl escapes apparent kidnapper, calls 911
- Jan 18:
- Denver man indicted for allegedly defrauding prospective car sellers, buyers
- Jan 12:
- Denver pays $1.34 million to settle police brutality cases
- Jan 11:
- Thornton police seek clues in attempted kidnapping at Walmart
- Jan 10:
- Photos released of woman who tried to rob drugs from Jefferson County pharmacy
- Jan 9:
- Police relying on evidence in bomb probe
- Jan 8:
- Police say bomb that hurt two in Lafayette was in paper bag
- Jan 7:
- Package explodes at home, seriously injuring two in Lafayette
- Jan 6:
- Boastful text messages triggered investigation, arrest of Englewood teacher charged with sex assault
- Denver Sheriff's deputy arrested, suspected of sexually assaulting girl in Arvada
- Jan 4:
- Man breaks at least one leg trying to flee cops after suspected drug deal in downtown Denver
- Jan 3:
- Denver police investigating first homicide of 2012
- Jan 2:
- New Year's party in Aurora rings in 2012 with fistfights and police shooting
- Jan 1:
- 'Elegant' ball turns into melee as police shoot armed man
- Dec 30:
- One dead and three injured in East Colfax shooting
- Dec 28:
- Woman murdered feared her ex-husband's threatening behaviors were escalating, court documents show
- Mother of victim lashes out as suspect in fatal Congress Park shooting appears in court
- Dec 27:
- Woman fatally shot in McDonald's parking lot; estranged husband suspected, found dead
- Girl killed in apparent accidental shooting
- Dec 21:
- Man accused of shooting and killing teacher in Congress Park, asked for a ride to her apartment
- Dec 19:
- FBI said the 'Wig-Out' bandit robs eighth Denver bank today
- Dec 16:
- Denver police arrest suspect for attempted murder in Congress Park shooting
- Denver police investigating after driver apparently shot in Congress Park neighborhood
- Dec 14:
- Two Denver teenagers get $10,000 for helping catch a drunk driver in a fatal hit-and-run
- Dec 11:
- Denver Police find two grenades in old ammunition boxes on Emerson Street
- Dec 9:
- Serial rapist sentenced to more than 300 years in prison after apologizing to victims
- Police: Drunk driver ran red light in Aurora at 92 mph, killed another driver in crash
- Dec 8:
- Breckenridge attorney Royal "Scoop" Daniel III who disappeared in 2007, arrested in California
- Dec 6:
- Denver cops nail 'Breakroom Bandit'
- Dec 5:
- Denver officer shoots man who allegedly accosted him with a hammer
- Nov 30:
- Meth addicts said former sheriff Pat Sullivan took care of them
- Nov 21:
- Guardian Angels step up patrols in Downtown Denver after string of attacks
- Nov 16:
- Police arrest woman accused of groping, biting in Barn Store
- Nov 11:
- Denver police looking for woman who allegedly bit two people in neck at a store
- Nov 7:
- Suspect assaults Denver police officer, runs off wearing handcuffs
- Oct 3:
- Police looking for truck that left crashes behind on I-70 and I-76
- Aug 4:
- U.S. marshals capture member of notorious biker gang in Aurora
- Nov 9:
- U.S. attorney: Indictments, arrests put big dent in flow of cocaine into Denver
WELD COUNTY — The Weld County Sheriff's Office is investigating a triple-murder/suicide at Longview Estates in Longmont early this morning.
The incident happened about 4 a.m. today at the neighborhood, on Colo. Highway 119 east of Longmont. The home is at 11464 Hot Springs, according to authorities.
"We're just trying to piece it all together at this point," said Weld County Sheriff's Office spokesman Tim Schwartz at a press conference this morning.
Schwartz said 911 dispatchers received a call around 4 a.m. from a female caller.
"The dispatcher hears her say, 'No, no, no.' Then the dispatcher hears gunshots," Schwartz said.
"A male party then gets on the phone, says he's going to kill himself. The dispatcher hears another gunshot."
Police arrived on the scene and found four people dead inside the home, two males and two females.
Schwartz said three of the victims are adults. One of the female victims might be a teenager.
Their names have not yet been released. Schwartz said a handgun was recovered at the scene. There is no indication any other weapon was involved.
Investigators got a warrrant and entered the home mid-morning.
Eddy Silva came to the scene and said the women killed were her nieces, who lived at the home. She identified them as Beatriz Cintora-Silva and Maria Cintora-Silva.
Eddy Silva said Maria Cintora-Silva got married in the last five months. Silva said the new husband also lived in the home.
"I'm very angry and sad," Silva said. "They were good girls. They were responsible. I believed in them."
Silva said she knew few details about what happened inside the Longmont home Tuesday morning. She did not know her niece's husband well, she said.
Shortly after 11:30 a.m., a woman, wearing an apron and no coat sprinted past the police tape, screaming and sobbing before she collapsed on the front lawn of a neighboring home.
"No, no, no," the woman screamed until her words muffled into violent sobs.
Mariana and Rosa Silva, who said they were cousins of the two female victims, helped the woman stand as investigators approached.
"She's like their mom," Mariana Silva told deputies.
After a brief conversation, the woman was lead, almost carried down the street to an awaiting SUV. Her sobs could be herd from inside the car, before the driver pulled away
Neighbors Joyce and George Vibbert, who live caddy-corner from the home, said they heard gunshots. Joyce Vibbert told the Times-Call she heard the shots at 4:13 a.m. and rushed to a window, but that window does not look out on the home where the shots were fired.
"My wife thought she heard a scream and then we went to the window," George Vibbert told The Denver Post. "Then it was silent."
"I heard three pops and after that I heard screaming," Joyce Vibbert told The Post. "I didn't hear any words — it was just screaming."
Soon after Vibbert said officers were dressing in SWAT gear in front of his home. Officers then surrounded his neighbors home and spent the next several minutes yelling for someone to let them in.
"No one answered and it was silent," Vibbert said.
The Vibberts told the Times-Call a young couple has lived in the home for about three months and that the husband had come over to borrow the leaf blowers. They did not know the victims' names, but they were pleasant and smiled when they drove by.
George Vibbert said that the couple was recently married and planned to possibly have children in the next year. Only two people lived in the home, the couple said.
The Vibberts said they saw police search a white Dodge Ram truck with Texas plates in front of the home. The truck was still running. George Vibbert told The Post he hadn't seen the truck before.
Heather Losh and her family live in a home on the backside of the house where the bodies were discovered. Around 5:30 a.m. Losh woke up to sheriff deputies yelling, "open your back door!"
Shortly before 6 a.m. Losh heard a loud bang, she told The Post.
"I just stayed inside, away from the windows where I thought it would be safe," Losh said.
Jose Gonzales and his family live adjacent to the home. Like several other neighbors, Gonzalez said he heard what sounded like three quick gunshots followed by a loud bang.
Leslie McGill, who lives near the home at Hot Springs and Big Bend streets, told the Times-Call she did not know the people who lived in the home.
"I got a phone call this morning from a relative saying, 'I just needed to hear your voice,'" she said. "The big thing is I don't know how I'm going to tell my son about this after the school shootings and now the shooting here."
As another neighbor walked by, McGill said, "I just wanted to make sure you're OK. We may not know each other by name, but when I heard the cross streets...." and then she trailed off.
Arlette Pixley, who lives one block east of the home where the shooting took place, said her mother heard noises in the morning.
"My mom said she was up at about 4. She heard a pop, pop, pop, but didn't think anything of it," she said.
Pixley said that sometimes she hears hunters' gunshots from a nearby field, but that's typically on Sunday mornings, she said.
"It's a pretty quiet neighborhood. We usually hear the traffic on the highway," she said.
Denver Post staff writer Jordan Steffen contributed to this report from the scene in Weld County.