A Weld County Sheriff Officer comforts a woman, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, outside a home where four people were found dead in Longmont.
A Weld County Sheriff Officer comforts a woman, Tuesday, December 18, 2012, outside a home where four people were found dead in Longmont. (RJ Sangosti, The Denver Post)

WELD COUNTY —  The Weld County Sheriff's Office is investigating a triple-murder/suicide at Longview Estates in Longmont early this morning.

The incident happened about 4 a.m. today at the neighborhood, on Colo. Highway 119 east of Longmont. The home is at 11464 Hot Springs, according to authorities.

"We're just trying to piece it all together at this point," said Weld County Sheriff's Office spokesman Tim Schwartz at a press conference this morning.

Schwartz said 911 dispatchers received a call around 4 a.m. from a female caller.

"The dispatcher hears her say, 'No, no, no.' Then the dispatcher hears gunshots," Schwartz said.

"A male party then gets on the phone, says he's going to kill himself. The dispatcher hears another gunshot."

Police arrived on the scene and found four people dead inside the home, two males and two females.

Schwartz said three of the victims are adults. One of the female victims might be a teenager.

Their names have not yet been released. Schwartz said a handgun was recovered at the scene. There is no indication any other weapon was involved.

Investigators got a warrrant and entered the home mid-morning.

Eddy Silva came to the scene and said the women killed were her nieces, who lived at the home. She identified them as Beatriz Cintora-Silva and Maria Cintora-Silva.

Eddy Silva said Maria Cintora-Silva got married in the last five months. Silva said the new husband also lived in the home.


"I'm very angry and sad," Silva said. "They were good girls. They were responsible. I believed in them."

Silva said she knew few details about what happened inside the Longmont home Tuesday morning. She did not know her niece's husband well, she said.

Shortly after 11:30 a.m., a woman, wearing an apron and no coat sprinted past the police tape, screaming and sobbing before she collapsed on the front lawn of a neighboring home.

"No, no, no," the woman screamed until her words muffled into violent sobs.

Mariana and Rosa Silva, who said they were cousins of the two female victims, helped the woman stand as investigators approached.

"She's like their mom," Mariana Silva told deputies.

After a brief conversation, the woman was lead, almost carried down the street to an awaiting SUV. Her sobs could be herd from inside the car, before the driver pulled away

Neighbors Joyce and George Vibbert, who live caddy-corner from the home, said they heard gunshots. Joyce Vibbert told the Times-Call she heard the shots at 4:13 a.m. and rushed to a window, but that window does not look out on the home where the shots were fired.

"My wife thought she heard a scream and then we went to the window," George Vibbert told The Denver Post. "Then it was silent."

"I heard three pops and after that I heard screaming," Joyce Vibbert told The Post. "I didn't hear any words — it was just screaming."

Soon after Vibbert said officers were dressing in SWAT gear in front of his home. Officers then surrounded his neighbors home and spent the next several minutes yelling for someone to let them in.

"No one answered and it was silent," Vibbert said.

The Vibberts told the Times-Call a young couple has lived in the home for about three months and that the husband had come over to borrow the leaf blowers. They did not know the victims' names, but they were pleasant and smiled when they drove by.

George Vibbert said that the couple was recently married and planned to possibly have children in the next year. Only two people lived in the home, the couple said.

The Vibberts said they saw police search a white Dodge Ram truck with Texas plates in front of the home. The truck was still running. George Vibbert told The Post he hadn't seen the truck before.

Heather Losh and her family live in a home on the backside of the house where the bodies were discovered. Around 5:30 a.m. Losh woke up to sheriff deputies yelling, "open your back door!"

Shortly before 6 a.m. Losh heard a loud bang, she told The Post.

"I just stayed inside, away from the windows where I thought it would be safe," Losh said.

Jose Gonzales and his family live adjacent to the home. Like several other neighbors, Gonzalez said he heard what sounded like three quick gunshots followed by a loud bang.

Leslie McGill, who lives near the home at Hot Springs and Big Bend streets, told the Times-Call she did not know the people who lived in the home.

"I got a phone call this morning from a relative saying, 'I just needed to hear your voice,'" she said. "The big thing is I don't know how I'm going to tell my son about this after the school shootings and now the shooting here."

As another neighbor walked by, McGill said, "I just wanted to make sure you're OK. We may not know each other by name, but when I heard the cross streets...." and then she trailed off.

Arlette Pixley, who lives one block east of the home where the shooting took place, said her mother heard noises in the morning.

"My mom said she was up at about 4. She heard a pop, pop, pop, but didn't think anything of it," she said.

Pixley said that sometimes she hears hunters' gunshots from a nearby field, but that's typically on Sunday mornings, she said.

"It's a pretty quiet neighborhood. We usually hear the traffic on the highway," she said.

Denver Post staff writer Jordan Steffen contributed to this report from the scene in Weld County.